Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Paediatrics Rotation

So, I've been at Whiston for over a week now on a paediatrics rotation but I have yet to see a child. It's OK, at the moment, because it's organised into "clinic weeks" and "ward weeks". True to the form, after induction last week, I started on a clinic week. The only problem is, due to a lack of capacity, my first clinic isn't until tomorrow. Grrr-arg, as the mutant zombie used to say at the end of every Buffy episode.

In the meantime I've been busily trying to meet deadlines and get an acceptable amount of PBL done (having failed on the latter of those two objectives I should probably be working not blogging right now). The looming deadline of Friday 7th January for our first submission of the CTM proposal has come and gone - despite the plethora of "woe-is-me" FB statuses I haven't come across anyone who failed to meet the 4pm deadline. This may be due to a lack of enquiry, but I'm happy to keep it that way.

After booking flights for my elective, getting insurance and completing (to an acceptable standard) the risk assessment I feel like I have somewhat shot myself in the foot - it was difficult to justify the time spent browsing the Internet for lovely travel information before, now that I'm near enough finished with the preparations its downright impossible. However, in theory this should set me up nicely for free time to spend revising. I wonder if that will happen?

As 2011 marches on, so does the assault on the Bank of Me. What was a nice amount of money, put away to pay for all I could ever want or need on my elective, is slowly diminishing to an amount which barely deserves the term "savings". Factor in my recently increasing level of fancy regarding what I want to do on my elective, and it all makes for very sorry reading. Cue much teeth gnashing and general wailing whilst I contemplate increasing my debt by 24%, the maximum allowed at this stage from a Professional Loan. I agree, I am not professional! But according to the bank, having the promise of becoming professional at some point in the future is good enough. I won't be protesting against it!

So now I think I really do need to wrap this up and try to complete some PBL. It is likely to be a paltry effort in the face of the people in my group who undoubtedly work harder, but at this point in time it is the best I can offer.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment