Powered By Blogger

Monday 22 November 2010

Time is running out

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. That's the sound of the watch hanging over my head, counting down every second until December 1st, the deadline for choosing fourth year hospital trusts. And with every tick, and every tock, I change my damn mind about where I want to go! The only thing I can say for definite is that I won't be applying to Blackpool. That's not to say that I don't want to go to there, just that I'm hopeful of being able to swap to Blackpool if I do make up my mind at a later date.

Of course, that only strikes one off the list of eight possible allocations. Knowing myself, I can also safely say that a long train followed by a long trek is also off the list, so buh-bye Southport. I know what you're thinking - lazy! Well, I'm not gonna lie, you'd be right. I could of course drive, but then I'd feel beholden to fill the three empty spaces in my car. Sure I could get them to pay me for the privilege, but what if I don't know anyone, or worse - don't like anyone?  So, as I said before, Southport's a no-no.

Two down, three to go! Well, two really, as we're not allowed to apply to both Aintree and the Royal - of those two my money is on the Royal for being the best. But even so it begs the question: "will it be in my top three?" In favour - it's huge (big case mix), you get Alder Hey for paeds and Liverpool Women's for ObGyn, its close to University and town, and pretty much every specialty is represented. Against - it's huge (I'll get hopelessly lost), there's LOADS of second year students around, and there isn't much teaching organised. As I'm still no closer to a definitive decision, the Royal goes into the 'maybe' pile.

Next up for my *cough* expert *cough* analysis is Whiston. Good old Whiston, my favourite haunt from second year - or at least it would have been if the bus journey was easier. So right off we have a big, huge, glaring reason not to apply there. BUT fingers crossed I'll be living in town next year, so one bus instead of two and you're laughing. Or at least you're less grouchy than the alternative. Lot's of teaching at Whiston, lots and lots and lots of other students too. Hmmm, I think Whiston is going in with the Royal as a 'maybe'.

I guess I've got to consider the possibility of Warrington, but I have to admit it is the one place that I dread being placed at. I've not heard a single good review, nor can I think of a single good thing apart from the fact that it's close to Liverpool. It's definitely in the 'no effing way' pile.

So, of the seven options (once the Royal and Aintree have fought it out for their place in the running), I've eliminated Blackpool, Southport, and Warrington from my top three, and stuck a yellow-for-maybe post-it note on the Royal and Whiston. Arrowe Park and Chester are the last two requiring my attention, and so to them I turn.

Judging by the information packs we were loaded up with, the decision over Chester is going to be somewhat quicker than Arrowe Park - one double-sided A4 leaflet compared to 14 or so pages of pure text... Better get a move on then!

I'm putting Chester in the 'top three' pile - I know, a decision has been made! How exciting!!! It has too many pros and not enough cons (even counting my laziness quite highly) to not be in there somewhere. Remember I've still got to put these in order though, we're not quite there yet. Arrowe Park looks good too. I'll need to put more consideration into how to get there, but it's getting a yellow post-it note.

So, my top four (because three just isn't enough right now), in no particular order: Chester, Royal, Whiston, Arrowe Park. I suppose in theory Chester should get the top spot, numero uno, posicion primera, but that's not how it works folks. That's just not how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment